Welcome to the w4mp training section. Here you will find details of training for the staff of MPs provided by the House of Commons and other training companies. Please note that these courses are not open to the general public.
Training offered by Learning and Development
The House of Commons Learning and Development team Learning News and Activities (LNA) brochure is now available. Alongside information about our latest work the brochure includes a calendar of all the learning events scheduled for staff of the House of Commons and for Members’ staff. This includes some courses specifically for Members’ staff around various casework issues such as Immigration Law and Welfare Benefits.
If you have access to the Parliamentary Intranet you can view the brochure online (PDF) here or access a list of courses and dates here on w4mptraining. If you would like a hard copy to be sent to your constituency office please contact Genna Mohammed on 0207 219 1422.
Forthcoming Courses for Members’ staff
Personal Independence Payments
This one day course which runs from 9.30am – 4.30pm is for anyone working for a Member, in particular those dealing with constituency casework issues which involve issues of disability. Previous knowledge is a requirement for this course so either attendance of the 2-day Welfare Benefits course or previous experience of Disability Living Allowances is advisable. This course will include understanding of the changes in the way this benefit is assessed, who can make a claim and levels of entitlement, and understanding of how a PIP may impact on other awarded benefits.
- 17/02/15 in London, House of Commons, 7 Millbank House, Room E ground floor.
- To view more information and to sign up for the course, please click on this link:https://parliament.learningpool.com/course/view.php?id=257
An intensive introduction to immigration law suitable for those who have just started looking at immigration cases as well as for those with more experience. The one day course which runs from 10am – 5pm will help you understand how the cases you see arise and how they might be resolved. The course does not cover asylum.
- 03/03/15 in London, House of Commons, 7 Millbank House, Room E ground floor.
- To view more information and to sign up for the course, please click on this link:https://parliament.learningpool.com/course/view.php?id=258
Mental Health Awareness
This one day interactive training course which runs from 10am – 4.30pm provides delegates with an awareness of the early signs of distress and a range of mental health conditions. We then look at an array of skills and tools that should manage or diffuse difficult and sensitive situations. The need for the human skills of empathy, compassion and being non-judgemental is balanced with boundaries and sign posting, as well as the importance of managing one’s own stress.
- 24/03/15in London, House of Commons, 7 Millbank House, Room E ground floor.
- To view more information and to sign up for the course,please click on this link: https://parliament.learningpool.com/course/view.php?id=260
This two day course is for Constituency staff dealing with casework issues around various benefits. The course will cover types of benefits, current and expected changes to the Benefit system, who can claim what and what to do when things go wrong. An overview of the key Welfare Benefits, Personal Independent Payments and Benefit Caps.
- 16 & 17 March 2015 in London, House of Commons, 7 Millbank House, Room E ground floor.
- To view more information and to sign up for the course, please click on this link:https://parliament.learningpool.com/course/view.php?id=256
Log into the Parliamentary Learning Management System ‘Act’ to request a place on any of the events listed in the brochure: https://parliament.learningpool.com
If you have not previously logged into the system your login details will be as follows:
Username: your parliamentary username (i.e. mohammedg)
Password (on initial login): welcome
You will be forced to change your password to something unique on your initial login
If you have any difficulty logging into Act or have any questions about the courses listed in the brochure or more generally about Learning and Development please contact Genna Mohammed on 0207 219 1422.